The Hindu Editorials Short Summary Notes
Question: Critically examine the impact of locusts attack on Agriculture and its suggested remedis.
- Locust swarm in Rajasthan, Gujarat, and parts of Madhya Pradesh.
- destroying plant leaves and shelf life, poste threat to human food security, farmers can’t afford to control due to already facing others wages related issue.
Institutional Set up:
- Locust Warning Organisation (LWO) in Jodhpur set up for monitoring and destroying these attacks and Directorate of Plant Protection Quarantine and Storage by Ministry of Agriculture.
- drones by sprinkling chemicals and spraying liquid insectisides , digging trenches , beating and burning, applying a fine dust on locuts.
Relationship Between Climate and Locust:
- positive Indian Ocean Dipole lead to ‘warming Indian Ocean’.
- Heavy rainfall in Eastern Africa provides breeding ground for locust development.
- In addition to it, Corona pandemic creates hurdle in proper prevention and management of this attack, Global Warming further intensifies the whole process.
- So there is need of full cooperation among countries without any blame game fo this.
Discuss the difficulty in designing and implementation of agriculture friendly reforms in India and Indian agriculture is facing multiple challenges .
- issues related to farmers not gettting fair price for their produce and its measures taken by Indian govt.
Problems Faced by Farmers:
- they have been denied their right to freedom fo trade as it is constitutional right, don’t have selling freedom , their farm incomes depend on markets, middlemen and money lenders – economic disparities,restrictive trade, implicit taxation and marketing policies this led to erosion of farmers incomes at large, Principle sources are – Bengal Famine 1943, WW-2, Essential Commodities Act,1955 and APMC.
Steps taken by Govt.:
- Recently Modi’s government took welcome step by annoucing an economic package of 20 lakh crore including 4 lakh crore as agriculture package and this will improve infra. and will enhance credit support.
- creating strong and effective FPOs, allowing direct access of buyers in order to enhance farmers bargaining powers.
pro-farming investments and holistic approach such as increasing MSPs, more freedom in deciding price of their produce can make a big change in agriculute sector of India.