Category: INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS
- Gilgit-Baltistan a part of India, says MEA
The issue in news
Stating that it is intended to camouflage the illegal occupation of the region by Islamabad, India slammed Pakistan for its attempt to accord provincial status to the “so-called Gilgit-Baltistan”.
- In a ruling, the Pakistan Supreme Court allowed Islamabad to amend a 2018 administrative order to conduct general elections in the region.
- The Gilgit-Baltistan Order of 2018 provided for administrative changes, including authorising the Prime Minister of Pakistan to legislate on an array of subjects.
- Pakistan has announced holding elections for the legislative assembly of Gilgit-Baltistan.
- Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) spokesperson made it clear that India firmly rejects the attempt by Pakistan to bring material changes to a part of Indian territory which is under Islamabad’s illegal and forcible occupation and asked Pakistan to immediately vacate such areas.
GS 3 Related
- Rising Cybercrimes
The issue in news
The Union Home Ministry has written to all States to examine and register FIRs based on the complaints received on the National Cybercrime Reporting Portal.
- As per data available with the Ministry, only 2.5% of total complaints registered on the portal are converted into First Information Reports (FIRs).
- Since its launch last year, the portal has received over 2 lakh complaints, but FIRs have been registered only in 5,000 cases.
- According to data compiled by the National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB), the number of registered cybercrimes increased by 63.5% in the year 2019 compared with the previous year’s.
- The portal was launched on August 30, 2019, to help people report all kinds of cybercrimes on a centralised platform.
- Through the National Cybercrime Reporting Portal, the Ministry aims to raise a group of cybercrime volunteers to flag unlawful content on the Internet.
- The unlawful content is categorised as content against the sovereignty and integrity of India, against defence of India, against the security of the state, against friendly relations with foreign states, content aimed at disturbing public order, disturbing communal harmony and child sex abuse material.
- The portal has started a helpline only for victims of financial cyber fraud in Delhi.
- Upon receiving the complaint, the designated police officer after verifying the matter will report to the bank and financial intermediary or payment wallet for blocking the money involved in the cyberfraud.