Daily MCQ for UPSC or Other Exam (06/09/2019)(Answers)
Q- Recently, the Union Government unveiled its plan to launch a new scheme for free treatment of Hepatitis C in the country. Against this backdrop, consider the following statements.
1) Hepatitis C is a bacterial disease and affects the liver.
2) Hepatitis C can also be spread from an infected mother to her baby during birth.
3) As of now, there is no vaccine against hepatitis C.
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
A. 1 only
B. 2 and 3
C. 1, 2 and 3
D. None of them
Solution – B
- Hepatitis-C is a viral disease that causes liver inflammation leading to diminished liver function or liver failure.
- It is referred to as a silent epidemic as most people infected with HCV have no symptoms of the disease until liver damage becomes apparent, which may take decades.
- Chronic HCV infection could lead to scarring and poor liver function (cirrhosis) over many years, resulting in complications such as bleeding, jaundice, fluid accumulation in the abdomen, infections and liver cancer.
Which of the following is not correctly matched?
A-Bharatnatyam – Rukmini Arundale
B-Manipuri Dance- Zaveri Sisters
C-Kuchipudi – Sitara Devi
D-Odissi – Sonal Man Singh
Solution – C
Q- Which of the following conditions is/are conducive for the formation of tropical cyclones?
1. Large and continuous supply of warm and moist air.
2. Large value of Coriolis force.
3. Inflow of air at upper level of atmosphere.
Select the correct answer using the codes given below.
a) 1 and 2 only
b) 1 only
c) 1 and 3 only
d) 1, 2 and 3
Solution – A
Large and continuous supply of warm and moist air is the most important condition for formation of tropical cyclone. Where Coriolis force is zero (like equator), tropical cyclones do not develop. An upper level outflow of air (and not inflow) helps in formation of tropical cyclone.
Q- With reference to National Human Rights Commission (NHRC), consider the following statements:
1. only a retired Chief Justice of India can become chairman of NHRC.
2. The chairman can be reappointed.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
a) 1 only
b) 2 only
c) both 1 and 2
d) neither 1 nor 2
Solution – A
Only a retired Chief Justice of India can become chairman of NHRC. After their tenure, the chairman and members of NHRC are not eligible for further employment under the Central or a state government.
Q- Consider the following statements –
- All higher education institutions of India are eligible to apply for the eminence tag.
- The selected institutes will enjoy complete academic and administrative autonomy.
- The Ministry of Human Resource Development takes the decision to give Institution of Eminence status to six institutes, three each from the public and private sectors.
Which of the following is/are incorrect?
B-1 and 3
C-2 and 3
Solution – B
Statement 1 is not correct- Only higher education institutions currently placed in the top 500 of global rankings or top 50 of the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) are eligible to apply for the eminence tag.
Statement 3 is not correct- The government will run 10 of these and they will receive special funding.