18/11/2019 : Prelims Sure Shot ( Current Affairs for UPSC CSE/IAS Exam)
No elephant safari in Dudhwa this season
- The Dudhwa National Park is a national park in the Terai belt of the marshy grasslands of northern Uttar Pradesh, India. It is part of the Dudhwa Tiger Reserve. It is located on the Indo-Nepal border in the Lakhimpur Kheri District. It represents one of the few remaining examples of a highly diverse and productive Terai ecosystem.
- Major attractions of the Dudhwa National Park are tigers and swamp deer. The Hispid hare, earlier thought to have become extinct, was rediscovered here in 1984.
- In 1984, the Indian rhinoceros was reintroduced into Dudhwa from Pobitora Sanctuary in Assam and Nepal.
- The other animals to be seen here include swamp deer, sambar deer, barking deer, spotted deer, hog deer, sloth bear, ratel, jackal, civets, jungle cat, fishing cat and leopard cat.
- The Dudhwa National Park is a stronghold of the barasingha. Around half of the world’s barasinghas are present in Dudhwa National Park.
Child Abuse Prevention and Investigation Unit
- The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has set up an Online Child Sexual Abuse and Exploitation (OCSAE) Prevention/Investigation Unit at its headquarter in New Delhi.
- The unit will function under the CBI’s Special Crime Zone.
- The unit’s territorial jurisdiction would be throughout the country.
- It will probe offences covered under various provisions of the
- Indian Penal Code (IPC),
- Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act
- Information Technology (IT) Act, apart from other relevant laws.
- It will collect and disseminate information on online child sexual abuse and exploitation.
- Motorists in high-altitude sectors like Ladakh, Kargil, Kaza and Keylong face the problem of freezing of diesel in their vehicles when winter temperatures drop to as low as -30o Celsius.
- Indian Oil has come up with an innovative solution to this problem by introducing a special winter-grade diesel with a low pour-point of -33 degree Celsius, which does not lose its fluidity function even in extreme winter conditions.
- Winter diesel fuel is also known as winter diesel, alpine diesel, or winterized diesel (AE).
- It refers to diesel fuel enhanced to prevent it from gelling in cold weather conditions.
- In general, it is achieved by treatment with additives that change the low temperature characteristics of the fuel.
- Winter-Grade Diesel will smoothen the travel and transportation in high alpine region and will help in overall economic development.
- ASEAN Defense Ministers’ Meeting, ADMM-Plus comprises total 18 nations, it comprises of 10 countries of ASEAN, and eight other countries such as Japan, the US, China, Australia, New Zealand, South Korea, Russia, and India.
- ADMM-Plus is the only official framework of Defense Minister’s meetings in the Asia-Pacific Region.
- The ADMM-Plus has become an effective platform for practical cooperation among the participating countries’ defence establishments.
- Indian researchers have developed a small device named SeeTB, to detect Tuberculosis .
- The device can be attached to a simple optical microscope to convert it into a fluorescence microscope, thus enabling better TB diagnosis at the point-of-care.
- It is a battery-operated device and allows quick identification of the bacteria.
- When the performance was compared against GeneXpert, another diagnosis tool that looks for DNA markers of TB bacteria, SeeTB showed improved sensitivity.
- Also, while GeneXpert method takes about two hours, SeeTB can help find the bacteria in about 30 minutes.